Saturday 17 March 2018

elementary number theory - Does this follow from congruence?



Let a and b be two distinct prime numbers and x and y are integers. Is the following true?



($x \equiv y \mod a$) and ($x \equiv y \mod b$). So, $a|(x-y)$ and $b|(x-y)$. This means $x-y=ab\phi$ with $\phi \in \mathbb{Z}$.



Can I state the last part or do I need to prove that somehow? It seems logical enough to me but it might be wrong. Your help is appreciated.



Answer



Let $x-y = am = bn$, $m, n\in \mathbb Z$.



$$am = bn$$



Since $a$ and $b$ are coprime and $a \mid bn$, $a\mid n$. Let $n = a\phi$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...