Thursday 29 March 2018

sequences and series - Find value of infinite sum











How would I go about deriving the value of the following infinite sum: $\sum\limits_{k=1}^\infty kx^k$ ?



I thought about expanding first: $\sum\limits_{k=1}^\infty kx^k= x + 2x^2 + 3x^3 + \cdots$



Then a bit of algebra: $\sum\limits_{k=1}^\infty kx^k - \sum\limits_{k=1}^\infty (k-1)x^k = x + x^2 + x^3 + \cdots + 1 -1 $



And now I'm stuck with this: $\sum\limits_{k=1}^\infty x^k = \frac{x}{1-x}$




How can I introduce the $k$ into $\sum\limits_{k=1}^\infty x^k$ ? Or is there a different approach that I don't know of?



Any help is much appreciated.


Answer



As you know $\sum_{k=0}^\infty x^k$ you can differentiate the result. Justify that you can differentiate the series term-by-term.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...