Friday 16 March 2018

What is the closed form sum of this series?



What is the closed form sum of this series?



$(1 - \frac12)+(\frac13 - \frac14)(1 - \frac12 + \frac13)+(\frac15 - \frac16)(1 - \frac12 + \frac13 - \frac14 + \frac15)+(\frac17 - \frac18)(1 - \frac12 + \frac13 - \frac14 + \frac15 - \frac16 + \frac17)+...$




I have been working on this infinite series (and other similar series). Wolfram doesn't know and I don't have any other mathematical software so I worked out an answer but I'm not sure if it is correct. Therefore I would like to see what answer anyone else can get to compare.



Also I would like to see some alternative proofs even if my answer is right because my proof was geometric and involved a lot of drawing!


Answer



It looks like it's given by
$$
\frac{1}{2}\left[\left(1-\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{4}+\ldots\right)^2 - \left(1+\frac{1}{4}+\frac{1}{9}+\frac{1}{16}+\ldots\right)\right]+\left(1+\frac{1}{9}+\frac{1}{25}+\ldots\right).
$$
That is, it contains just the off-diagonal terms from the square of the series for $\ln(1+x)$ (evaluated at $x=1$), plus the odd diagonal terms. This evaluates to
$$

\frac{1}{2}\left[\left(\ln 2\right)^2-\frac{\pi^2}{6}\right]+\frac{\pi^2}{8}=\frac{1}{2}\left(\ln 2\right)^2+\frac{\pi^2}{24},
$$
in agreement with your result.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...