Sunday 4 March 2018

real analysis - $sum_{k=1}^{infty}a_kb_k$ converges for every bounded sequence {$b_k$}, prove that $sum_{k=1}^{infty}a_k$ converges absolutely.

Let $\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}a_k$ be a series of real numbers. Suppose that $\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}a_kb_k$ converges for every bounded sequence {$b_k$} ? Prove that $\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}a_k$ converges absolutely.



Here is my thought process:



Since {$b_k$} is bounded, every |$b_k$| $\leq$ M for all k.




So $\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}|a_kb_k|$ = $\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}|a_k||b_k|$ $\leq$ $\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}|a_k|M$ = $M$$\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}|a_k$| and since $\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}|a_kb_k|$ converges, $\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}|a_k|$ also converges.



However, I am having a hard time figuring out how to prove absolute convergence. I realize that they are similar questions on this website but they're asking to prove that $\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}a_kb_k$ converges, rather than $\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}a_k$ converging absolutely. Would really love any help, I'm quite stuck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...