Tuesday 9 October 2018

convergence divergence - What is the $I_{0}(x)$ function?



While trying to calculate the following infinite sum:



$$ \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac {4^k}{(k!)^{2}}$$




I got the result: $I_{0}(4) = 11.301...$



I've never encountered this function before ($ I_{0}(x) $), can someone please describe it and explain why the above infinite sum converges to an output of this function?



I expected something having to do with the exponential function since $$ \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac {\mu^k}{k!} = e^\mu $$


Answer



The modified Bessel function of the first kind has a power series expansion
$$ I_{\alpha}(x)=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{k!\Gamma(k+\alpha+1)}\Big(\frac{x}{2}\Big)^{2k+\alpha} $$




Taking $\alpha=0$ and using $\Gamma(k+1)=k!$, and then setting $x=4$, we get
$$ I_0(4)=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{4^k}{(k!)^2} $$
which is your sum.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...