Sunday 14 October 2018

probability - Independent Exponential Random Variables




I am currently trying to figure out a problem and it is using notation that I have never seen before so I am pretty stuck, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!



Let $X, Y, Z$ be independent exponential random variables with the same mean, $σ$. Find the value of $σ$ so that $\Pr[\max(X,Y,Z)>1]=0.05$.



Any help with how to solve this problem or leading down the right path would be awesome as I am not to sure where to even start!



EDIT: So I have followed what André Nicolas has said and got a $σ$ of $0.25$. However I am still not sure where he got this formula from: The probability they are all $\le a$ is $(1-e^{-a/\sigma})^3$.



I cant find anything like this is my notes or textbook, could any reference where he got this?



Answer



A start: The probability that $\max(X,Y,Z)\gt 1$ is $1$ minus the probability they are all $\le 1$.



The probability they are all $\le a$ is $(1-e^{-a/\sigma})^3$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...