Sunday 28 October 2018

probability - Expected number of dice rolls of an unfair dice to roll every side equally many sides

I am having trouble with solving the following problem:



The probability that a $d$-sided dice lands on its $k$th side is equal to $p_k$ for $k\in \{k\in\mathbb{N},k≤d\}$ and $p_1+p_2+p_3+...+p_d=1$. Roll this dice (at least once) until every side is rolled equally many times. Find a function $F(p_1,p_2...)$ which gives the expected number of rolls $n$ after which that happens.




I have attempted to solve it by counting distinct sequences, and than taking a weighted average: the sum of all $n$s times the probability of this occurring after $n$ rolls. Using this method, I have managed to obtain a result for a two-sided dice (a coin) by using Catalan numbers. This does, however, not work for higher dimensions.



Does anyone have an idea on how this could be solved for at least a 3 or 4-sided dice?



Edit:
I gave my idea for counting the distinct sequences for an equality to occur after exactly $n$ steps in this post: Number of ways a dice can roll every side equally many times for the first time after x rolls

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...