Thursday 18 October 2018

sequences and series - Evaluating $sum_{k=0}^inftysin(kx)$ and $sum_{k=0}^inftycos(kx)$



Playing with sines I wanted to find
$$
S(x)=\sum_{k=0}^\infty\sin(kx)
$$




Writing it as
$$
S(x)=\mathrm{Im}\big(A(x)\big),\quad\text{where}\quad A(x)=\sum_{k=0}^\infty e^{ikx}
$$


and using $z=e^{ix}=\cos(x)+i\sin(x)$, cheating about $\|z\|=1$ in order to write
$$
A(x)=\frac{1}{1-z},
$$



I found that




$$
2S(x)=\frac{\sin(x)}{1-\cos(x)}

$$




as WolframAlpha does.




My question is: why with the same method I found
$$
\sum_{k=0}^\infty\cos(kx)=\frac{1}{2}
$$


while WolframAlpha and G.H.Hardy on the book "Divergent Series" (pg. 2) give $-1/2$?


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...