Monday 22 October 2018

real analysis - Finding a counter example to one of four formulas for images and inverse images




So this is a question out of Real Analysis book that I'm working through, and I'm quite stuck.



Give a counterexample to one of the following four formulas for images and inverse images of sets (the other three are true)




  1. $f(X_1 \cup X_2) = f(X_1) \cup f(X_2$),

  2. $f^{-1}(Y_1 \cup Y_2) = f^{-1}(Y_1) \cup f^{-1}(Y_2)$,

  3. $f(X_1 \cap X_2) = f(X_1) \cap f(X_2)$,

  4. $f^{-1}(Y_1 \cap Y_2) = f^{-1}(Y_1) \cap f^{-1}(Y_2)$




I went through Overview of basic results about images and preimages and from other resources I can find online, all 4 of these are true... I can't figure out what I am missing.



Thanks for the help


Answer



3 is false, if F is a contant map and $X_1, X_2$ disjoint.
Exercise. Prove for 3 that the
left hand side is a subset of the right hand side.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...