Monday 10 December 2018

How do I prove that the limit as x approaches 0 of (sin(x)/x) = 1 using the definition of a limit?

If I let r be a positive number, I have to show that there exists a positive number, u, such that |x| < u implies that |(sin(x))/x - 1| < r. Now I've gone about this two different ways, but hit dead ends both times.



My first approach was to use the triangle inequality and the fact that -1 <= sin(x) <= 1. |(sin(x))/x - 1| <= |(sin(x))/x| + 1 = |sin(x)|/|x| + 1 <=
1/|x| + 1. I knew that if I could show that 1/|x| + 1 < r, that would mean
|(sin(x))/x - 1| < r. However, the issue is that if 1/|x| + 1 < r, than 1 < r. But I need prove it with r being any positive number.




My second approach was to split it into left-hand and right-hand limits and use the squeeze theorem. I knew that if I show that each limit was 1, then the entire limit was 1. I decided to start with the left-hand limit. For x<0, 1/x <= sin(x)/x <= -1/x. However, since the limit as x approaches 0 from the left of 1/x = -oo and the limit as x approaches 0 from the left of -1/x is oo, the squeeze theorem really can't be applied.



What is it that I'm doing wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...