Thursday 6 December 2018

integration - How to integrate $int e^{-t^{2}} space , mathrm dt $ using introductory calculus methods



Earlier today I stumbled across this when I was doing some practice questions for a physics course: $$\int e^{-t^2} \space \, \mathrm dt $$



To expand, the limits of integration were something like $1$ and $4$ (it was just a velocity function that needed to be integrated to find distance - it was not a known integral like $\int_0^\infty e^{-t^2} \space\, \mathrm dt$.)




Based on Wolfram|Alpha, it appears it cannot be expressed in elementary terms (i.e. it involves the error function.) Note that the questions involved the use of a calculator, so I was able to integrate the function using a CAS with ease, but I am wondering how to do it by hand. Thus, I was wondering if there was possibly a way to evaluate the integral using elementary methods from a calculus one or two course (read: no complex analysis). I thought there may perhaps be an elementary solution (I don't know what kind of algorithm Wolfram uses to evaluate integrals - I have seen them evaluate easy integrals in a lot of steps before.)


Answer



The error function is defined as



$$\operatorname{erf}(x)=\frac 2 {\sqrt \pi}\int_{0}^x e^{-t^2}dt$$



It is not an elementary function. Since from the definition it is immediate (FTCI) that



$$\operatorname{erf}'(x)=\frac 2 {\sqrt \pi}e^{-x^2}$$




the primitive of $e^{-x^2}$ is expressible as



$$\int e^{-x^2} dx =\frac{\sqrt \pi}{2}\operatorname{erf}(x)-C $$



since any two primitives of a function $f$ differ by a constant (FTCII)



As a consequence your primitive can't be expressed in terms of elementary functions.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...