Wednesday 5 December 2018

real analysis - Is there a continuous function from X onto Y?

(1) $X= (0,1]$ and $Y = [0,1]$;



(2) $X = [0,1]$ and $Y$ is the topologist's sine curve



(3) $X = [0,1] \cup [2,3]$ and $Y = X \times X$




I believe there is a continuous function for the first one.



I know there doesn't exist a continuous function for the second one, because $X$ is path connected and the topologist's sine curve is not. As well as, $f(0)$ doesn't exist in $Y$.



I feel like there is no continuous function for (3) because of the disconnection; however, I could be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...