Sunday 24 February 2013

calculus - $n^2 int_0^1 (1-x)^n sin(pi x) mathrm{d}x$



I would like to find :



$$\lim_{n \to \infty} n^2 \int_0^1 (1-x)^n \sin(\pi x) \mathrm{d}x $$




We have :
$$n^2 \int_0^1 (1-x)^n \sin(\pi x) \mathrm{d}x = \int_0^1 n^2(1-x)^n \sin(\pi x) \mathrm{d}x$$



Moreover we have $\forall x \in [0, 1]$ :



$$\lim_{n \to \infty} n^2(1-x)^n \sin(\pi x) = 0$$



So by the dominated convergence theorem we can deduce that :



$$ \lim_{n \to \infty} \int_0^1 n^2(1-x)^n \sin(\pi x) \mathrm{d}x = 0$$




Yet, here my book say the answer is actually $\pi$, and I don't understand why what I've done is wrong, and how I can actually find that the value is $\pi$.


Answer



You cannot apply the DCT because there is not an integrable function $g$ (independent of $n$) such that $n^2(1-x)^n\sin(\pi\,x)\le g(x)$.



Integrating by parts twice we get
$$
\int_0^1(1-x)^n\sin(\pi\,x)\,dx=\frac{\pi}{(n+1)(n+2)}+\frac{\pi^2}{(n+1)(n+2)}\int_0^1(1-x)^{n+2}\sin(\pi\,x)\,dx.
$$
Multiply by $n^2$, let $n\to\infty$ and observe that the DCT can be applied to the integral on the left hand side because $n^2/(n+1)/(n+2)$ is bounded.



No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...