Tuesday 21 May 2013

linear algebra - Need help in understanding how to find an elementary matrix



I read this chapter in my book and thought I understood it, but I don't. I tried working a problem to test my understanding and I just don't know how to get started.



Given the following matrices:



$A=\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 2 & -3 \\ 0 & 1 & 2 \\ -1 & 2 & 0
\\ \end{bmatrix}$

$B=\begin{bmatrix} -1 & 2 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 2 \\ 1 & 2 & -3
\\ \end{bmatrix}$



Find an elementary matrix $E$ such that $EA = B$



What I think I understand... a matrix is elementary when a single row operation forms an $I_n$ matrix. I don't understand how this applies though. Please help!


Answer



The unique matrix that satisfies $EA = B$ is the matrix that "swaps" the
first and third rows. It is given as




$$E=\begin{bmatrix} 0 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 & 0
\\ \end{bmatrix}.$$



Edit:
Due to a question in the comments, here comes a bit longer explanation.



(1) The rows of matrix $B$ and $A$ are the same, except for the fact that we have to swap
the first and the third row.



(2) $E$, defined above, is the special matrix that swaps the first and third rows of any $3 \times 3$ matrix $O$ when multiplied by it from the left. This can, for example, be seen by simple matrix multiplication




$$\begin{bmatrix} 0 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 & 0
\\ \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} p_1 & p_2 & p_3 \\ q_1 & q_2 & q_3 \\ r_1 & r_2 & r_3
\\ \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} r_1 & r_2 & r_3 \\ q_1 & q_2 & q_3 \\ p_1 & p_2 & p_3
\\ \end{bmatrix}. $$



Hence, as a particular case, we also have $EA=B$. (Moreover, since $A$ and $B$ are non-singular matrices, the solution to the matrix equation $XA=B$ is unique: $X=BA^{-1}$,
calculating this we would again get $X=E$.)



(3) Elementary matrices (see definition here) differs from the identity matrix by one single elementary row operation. After swapping the first and third row of $E$ (which is an elementary row operation) we arrive to matrix




$$\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1
\\ \end{bmatrix},$$



which is exactly the identity matrix. Hence $E$ is an elementary matrix.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...