Thursday 30 May 2013

linear algebra - Reduced row echelon form without introducing fractions at any intermediate stage



How can I reduce this matrix to reduced row echelon form but without using fractions in intermediary steps (I can use them in elementary row operations just not in the results in the matrix)



$$
\begin{pmatrix}
2 & 1 & 3 \\

0 & -2 & 7 \\
3 & 4 & 5 \\
\end{pmatrix}
$$



I been trying for several hours and can seem to figure that out.
Is it even possible?



Thanks for any help


Answer




Yes, it is possible. Furthermore, there does exist some algorithms to do this, such as the fraction-free Gaussian elimination, see, e.g.,
E H Bareiss. Sylvester's identity and multistep integer-preserving Gaussian elimination. Math. Comput., 22(103):565-578, 1968.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...