Friday 28 November 2014

combinatorics - Combinatorial identity: summation of stars and bars

I noticed that the following identity for a summation of stars and bars held for specific $k$ but I was wondering if someone could provide a general proof via combinatorics or algebraic manipulation. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a known result; it looks very similar to the Hockey Stick identity.



$$\sum_{i=0}^k {d+i-1 \choose d-1} = {d+k \choose k}$$



The left can be immediately rewritten as $\sum_{i=0}^k {d+i-1 \choose i}$ if it helps inspire intuition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...