Friday 21 November 2014

elementary number theory - Understanding how to compute $5^{15}pmod 7$




Compute $5^{15} \pmod 7$.





Can someone help me understand how to solve this? I know there is a trick, but my professor did not completely explain it in class and I'm stuck.


Answer



You know 7 is prime and 7 does not divide 5 so you can use Fermats Little Theorm to get $5^6\equiv1 (mod 7)$ $\Rightarrow$ $5^{15} \equiv 5^3 (mod 7)$
then you can do $ (25)(5)\equiv (-4)(2) (mod7) $ then $ -8 \equiv 6 (mod 7)$ $\Rightarrow $ $5^{15} \equiv 6 (mod 7)$ hence $5^{15}$ Modulo 7 is 6


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...