Thursday 13 November 2014

functions - Find a bijective mapping that shows that [0,1] and [0,1) have the same cardinality




I need to show that the two sets $[0,1]$ and $[0,1)$ have the same cardinality. I know that in order to show this I must show that there exists $f$ such that $f:[0,1]\to[0,1),$

but I am not sure how to proceed.



Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.


Answer



Define:



\begin{equation} f(x)=\begin{cases} \frac{1}{1+n}, & \text{if $x = \frac{1}{n}$ , $n \in \mathbb{N}$ }.\\ x , & \text{otherwise}. \end{cases} \end{equation}


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...