Thursday 13 November 2014

Solving the equation $f(x+t)=f(x)+f(t)+2sqrt{f(x)}sqrt{f(t)}$



I am trying to solve the equation $f(x+t)=f(x)+f(t)+2\sqrt{f(x)}\sqrt{f(t)}$ - as in find a function that satisfies this equation. I notice that the RHS is $({\sqrt{f(x)}+\sqrt{f(t)}})^2$ but I am stuck after this.


Answer



The presence of $\sqrt{f(x)}$ in your functional equation implies that the range of $f$ is nonnegative.




If you are looking for a continuous function, Simon's comment shows that $g$ must be linear. (With real functions, continuity and additivity imply full linearity. This is mentioned here although I'd prefer to show a link to an actual proof.)



Therefore $$\sqrt{f(x)} = ax$$



for some $a$.




  1. If $a=0$, then $f$ is the zero function.

  2. If $a>0$, then $f$ is only defined for $x\geq 0$, and $f(x)=a^2x^2$.

  3. If $a<0$, then $f$ is only defined for $x\leq 0$, and $f(x)=a^2x^2$.




That is, there are three families of solutions. They all have the same form $f(x)=a^2x^2$, but either you must restrict the domain to non-negatives, non-positives, or $a $ is necessarily $0$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...