Tuesday 18 November 2014

real analysis - Confusion in definition of limit and continuity




I was reading from this website,



enter image description here



But as far as I know is not it the same as definition of continuity. For example Kenneth Ross's book has the same definition for continuity



Let $f$ be a real valued function whose domain is a subset of $\mathbb{R}$. Then $f$ is continuous at $x_0\in dom(f)$ iff for each $\epsilon>0$ there exist $\delta>0$ such that $x\in dom(f)$ and $|x-x_0|<\delta$ imply $|f(x)-f(x_0)|<\epsilon$



I am confused.




https://www.math24.net/definition-limit-function/


Answer



The only difference there is that for the existence of the limit $f(a)$ does not need to be defined.



For continuity $f(a)$ must be defined (and must be equal to the limit).


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...