Sunday 16 November 2014

summation - Prove a lower bound for $sum_{i=1}^n i^2$


Prove that $$\sum_{i=1}^n i^2 \geq \frac{n^3}{3}$$ for all $n \geq 1.$





What I know: I know the basic format of how to make a proof with the basis and inductive step but I am unsure of how to prove this particular statement and expand it. This is for a data structures class by the way.
My attempt so far has been $1^2 + 2^2 +\cdots+n^2$ is $i^2$ expanded. Can anyone provide some insight or link me to similar examples on how to go about structuring this?



Thanks so much in advance I am really lost and haven't taken a proofs class before so it's all new to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...