Thursday 20 November 2014

functional analysis - Counterexample around Dini's Theorem




"Give an example of an increasing sequence $(f_n)$ of bounded continuous functions from $(0,1]$ to $\mathbb{R}$ which converge pointwise but not uniformly to a bounded continuous function $f$ and explain why Dini's Theorem does not apply in this case"





So clearly Dini's Theorem does not apply, as $(0,1]$ is not a closed interval (or compact metric space), but I can't figure out an example.



My first thought is $f_n(x)=\frac{1}{x^n}$, but this does not converge pointwise to a bounded continuous function, as $x=1$ is in the interval



My second thought is $f_n(x)=x^\frac{1}{n}$. This is clearly an increasing sequence of bounded continuous functions (I think?) I believe this converges pointwise to $f(x)=1$ for all $x\in (0,1]$, but I'm struggling to then show why this doesn't converge uniformly to $f(x)=1$



How would I do this? Or is then an easier/better example I could use?


Answer




Take $f_n(x)=e^{-\frac 1 {nx}}$ and $f=1$.



Note that $sup_x |f_n(x)-f(x)| \geq |f_n(\frac 1 n)-1|=1-\frac 1 e $.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...