Friday 23 February 2018

algebra precalculus - How to find the magnitude squared of square root of a complex number



I'm trying to simplify the expression




$$\left|\sqrt{a^2+ibt}\right|^2$$



where $a,b,t \in \Bbb R$.



I know that by definition



$$\left|\sqrt{a^2+ibt}\right|^2 = \sqrt{a^2+ibt}\left(\sqrt{a^2+ibt}\right)^*$$



But how do you find the complex conjugate of the square root of a complex number? And what is the square root of a complex number (with arbitrary parameters) for that matter?



Answer



For any complex number $z$, and any square root $\sqrt{z}$ of $z$ (there are two), we have
$$\bigl|\sqrt{z}\bigr|=\sqrt{|z|}$$
Therefore
$$\bigl|\sqrt{a^2+ibt}\bigr|^2=\sqrt{|a^2+ibt|^2}=|a^2+ibt| = \sqrt{a^4+b^2t^2}$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...