Friday 16 February 2018

Proving that modular inverse only exists when $gcd(n,x)=1$



I'm having trouble understanding why for finding the inverse for $x\bmod n$, $\gcd(x, n)=1$ is a precondition. Obviously I've tried examples where the gcd is greater than one and I can't find $a$ for $ax \equiv _n 1$. I'm trying to prove to myself why this is the case.



I can mechanically say the following:



Find the modular inverse $a$ of $x\pmod n$




$$ax \equiv _n 1 \Leftrightarrow n \mid (ax-1)$$



And $n \mid (ax-1)$ implies that $(ax-1)=nk$ for some $k \in \mathbb Z $



After that I am stuck and I'm not sure if I'm going in the right direction.


Answer



If there is an inverse of $x \bmod n$, that gives us a number $y$ so that $xy \equiv 1 \bmod n$. That means that $xy=kn+1$, or (rearranging) that $xy-kn=1$.



Now for any common divisor, $c$, of $x$ and $n$ we will have that $c \mid (xy-kn)$ which gives $c\mid 1$, that is, $c=1$. So that is an outcome - and therefore a requirement - of finding the inverse of $x \bmod n$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...