Monday 5 February 2018

diophantine equations - $Dm^2 - n^2D^2$ is a perfect square then $D$ is the sum of two squares




How do I show that if $$Dm^2 - n^2D^2$$ is a perfect square for some integers $m$ and $n$ ($n \neq 0$), $D$ is the sum of two (non-zero) perfect squares? I tried solving for $D$ but that only gives me $$D = \frac{m^2}{2n^2} \pm \frac{\sqrt{m^4 - 4n^2 k^2}}{2n^2}$$ for integers $m$, $n$, and $k$, which doesn't seem easier.



EDIT: $D$ itself should not be a perfect square.


Answer



If $Dm^2-D^2n^2= a^2$, then $Dm^2$ is a sum of two squares. Now an integer is a sum of two squares if and only if all primes $\equiv 3 \mod 4$ in its factorization occur with even multiplicities. The presence of the extra square $m^2$ doesn't affect this condition, so $D$ is a sum of two squares, also.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...