Monday 30 July 2018

limits - Evaluating $limlimits_{xmathoptoinfty}frac{tan x}{x}$



I need to find $$\lim\limits_{x\mathop\to\infty}\frac{\tan x}{x}$$

For some reason mathematica just returns my input without evaluating it.



For what it's worth, $\dfrac{\tan(10^{100})}{10^{100}}\approx -4\times10^{-101}$, so the limit is probably $0$. (...)



I'm guessing this has been asked before but I can't find it.


Answer



The limit does not exist: Since the tangent function has poles at every point of the form $\left(n + \frac 1 2\right) \pi$, the quantity



$$\frac{\tan x}{x}$$




is unbounded on every interval of length greater than $\pi$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...