Saturday 28 July 2018

real analysis - Evaluate $lim_{ntoinfty}frac{x_n}{sqrt n}$




Question: $x_1>0$, $x_{n+1}=x_n+\dfrac1{x_n}$, $n\in\Bbb N$. Evaluate
$$\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{x_n}{\sqrt n}.$$





What I know now is that $\dfrac1{x_n}\to\dfrac12$ when $n\ge2$,
$\{x_n\}$ is monotonically increasing,$x_n\ge 2$ when $n\ge 2$.



I have tried to use the Stolz theorem, and I found I could not use Squeeze theorem.



Could you please give some instructions? Thank you!


Answer



We have

$$x_{n+1}^2=\left(x_n+\frac1{x_n}\right)^2=x_n^2+\frac1{x_n^2}+2\implies x_{n+1}^2-x_n^2=\frac1{x_n^2}+2.$$



Obviously, $x_n$ is increasing and $x_n\to\infty$ as $n\to\infty$. Apply the Stolz theorem,
\begin{align*}
\left(\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{x_n}{\sqrt n}\right)^2&=\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{x_n^2}{n}\\
(\text{Stolz})&=\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{x_n^2-x_{n-1}^2}{n-(n-1)}\\
&=\lim_{n\to\infty}\left(\frac1{x_{n-1}^2}+2\right)=0+2=2.
\end{align*}

$$\therefore \lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{x_n}{\sqrt n}=\sqrt 2.$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...