Thursday 19 July 2018

probability - How to find the cumulative distribution function and the expected value of a random variable.




I've seen a lot of questions about cumulative distribution function (CDF) when you already have the PDF, but I was wondering how you find it when you're not given the PDF?



E.g., Let $X:([0,1], \mathcal{B}([0,1]) \to \Bbb{R}$ be a random variable, and let $\mathbb{P} = \lambda$, where $\lambda$ is the lebesgue measure ($\lambda([a,b]) = b-a$.



$X$ is defined by:
$$X(\omega) =
\begin{cases}
2\omega,\text{ if $\omega \in [0,1/2)$}\\
1, \text{ if $\omega \in [1/2,1]$}
\end{cases} $$

By eye, I think the CDF is given by
$$F_X(x) =
\begin{cases}
0,\text{if $x<0$}\\
\frac{1}{2}x, \text{ if $x \in [0,1)$}\\
1, \text{ if $x\geq 1$}
\end{cases} $$



However, I don't know any standard technique to find it and I was hoping someone could point me to a source which explains how to find this.




Once I have the CDF, I want to use this to find $\mathbb{E}[X]$. I know $\mathbb{E}[X] = \int_{[0,1]} X(\omega)d\mathbb{P}(\omega) = \int_\mathbb{R}xdF_X(x)$.



Clearly,
$$dF_X(x) =
\begin{cases}
1/2dx,\text{ if $x\in[0,1)$}\\
0dx, \text{ otherwise}
\end{cases} $$



So using the above formula, I would get:

$$\mathbb{E}[X] = \int_\mathbb{R}xdF_X(x) = \int_0^1x\frac{1}{2} dx = 1/4$$



But this seems wrong, because isn't this the expectation value we'd get if $X$ was uniformuly distributed between 0 and 1/2, and didn't include the extra part between 1/2 and 1?



Please let me know if I've misunderstood how to calculate CDFs or expected values, and if possible give me a constructive way to find them in general situations.
Thanks!


Answer



$X(\omega) = 2\omega\mathbf 1_{\omega\in[0;1/2)}+\mathbf 1_{\omega\in[1/2;1)}$



$\mathsf P\{\omega:X(\omega)\leq x\} ~{= \lambda[0;x/2)\mathbf 1_{x\in[0;1)}+\mathbf 1_{x\in[1;\infty)} \\[1ex] =\begin{cases}0&:& x < 0\\ x/2 &:& x\in[0;1)\\ 1&:& x\in[1;\infty)\end{cases}}$




Either include the point mass from the step discontinuity



$$\mathsf E(X)=\int_0^1 x\tfrac {\partial x^2/2}{\partial x}\mathsf d x+1/2 = 3/4$$



Or use the alternative definition:



$$\mathsf E(X) = \int_0^1 \mathsf P(X>x)\mathsf d x =\int_0^1(1-x/2)\mathsf d x={[x-x^2/4]}_{x=0}^{x=1}=3/4$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...