Wednesday 4 July 2018

sequences and series - Is there any geometry behind the Basel problem?



I could find many beautiful and rigorous proofs for Euler's solution to the Basel problem here Different methods to compute $\sum\limits_{k=1}^\infty \frac{1}{k^2}$ (Basel problem)



Basel problem solution




But I am curious to know whether there are proofs by using geometry.



If anyone has proofs by geometry, please do share it with us.


Answer



Funny you should ask this today. A great video video by the YouTuber 3Blue1Brown was just posted today. (Aside: I recommend all his videos.)



The proof is based on the result mentioned by "3 revs" in the MO thread mentioned by user296602 above.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...