Monday 16 July 2018

real analysis - Limit of integral expression approaches maximum of function

So I've been trying to find a solution for this all afternoon, but haven't found a good place to start:





Prove that if $f:[a,b]\to\mathbf{R}^+$ is a continuous function with maximum value $M$, then
$$
\ \lim_{n\to\infty}\left(\int_a^b f(x)^n\,dx\right)^{1/n} = M
$$




Here are some of the paths I've considered, though none have been very successful:



(1) Considering the sequence of functions for all increasing integer $n$ and trying to show that the sequence converges. We've had plenty of work on converging sequences, but with the integral expression, I am not sure how to simplify.




(2) Showing that that sequence is increasing (again, how?) and then showing there to be a supremum at $M$. I'm not sure how the maximum of the function arrives in this problem.



(3) Mean value theorems for integrals



If anyone could give me a solid place to start or perhaps point me to a place where this question has been asked before (I can't seem to find it), I would be very grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...