Friday 13 July 2018

linear algebra - Understanding the formula for a diagonal matrix $A = P^{-1}DP$.



I'm trying to understand the procedure for finding the powers of a matrix using the diagonal relation $A^n = P^{-1}D^nP$. Here's what I understand so far.





  • We find eigenvalues of A. The matrix D is formed with eigenvalues in
    the diagonal line and zeros everywhere else. The order of entering
    diagonal values doesn't matter.

  • The matrix $P$ is a matrix that contains eigenvectors of $A$. Again, the order does not matter.



Is this right? I'm assuming matrix is nice (invertible etc). Am I right in thinking that the diagonal matrix itself isn't useful (i.e. doesn't give you $A^2$ unless you find $P$ and $P^{-1}$ too).


Answer



Indicating the eigenvalues along the diagonal $D$ with $\lambda_i=D_{ii}$ we need that the corresponding eigenvectors $\vec v_i$ are placed as the i-th column of the matrix $P$.




Therefore the order of the eigenvalues in $D$ doesn't matter but the corresponding eigenvectors must be placed in $P$ accordingly and viceversa.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...