Monday 16 July 2018

real analysis - Compute $sumlimits_{n=1}^inftyfrac{1}{(n(n+1))^p}$ where $pgeq 1$

I was recently told to compute some integral, and the result turned out to be a scalar multiple of the series $$\sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty\frac{1}{(n(n+1))^p},$$ where $p\geq 1$. I know it converges by comparison for
$$\dfrac{1}{(n(n+1))^p}\leq\dfrac{1}{n(n+1)}<\dfrac{1}{n^2},$$
and we know thanks to Euler that $$\sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty\frac1{n^2}=\frac{\pi^2}6.$$ I managed to work out the cases where $p=1$ and $p=2$. With $p=1$ being a telescoping sum, and my solution for $p=2$ being $$\frac13\pi^2-3,$$ which I obtained based on Euler's solution to the Basel Problem. I see no way to generalize the results to values to arbitrary values of $p$ however. Any advice on where to start would be much appreciated.




Also, in absence of another formula, is the series itself a valid answer? Given that it converges of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...