Sunday 21 September 2014

algebra precalculus - Connection between quadratic equations and complex numbers where $Delta > 0$ (of the quadratic formula)

I recently studied how the complex quadratic equation of $x^2-2x+5$ was solved:



Solution to <span class=$x^2-2x+5$">



Then I typed it in for the star of this question:



$$x^2-2x-5$$



And it used the quadratic formula, which I found boring. So I wondered: what will happen if I use the same method as the image above and just pretend it will have a complex solution. Will the imaginary numbers cancel out? What will happen?




So I did that, and my question is: how did this work so well? What is actually happening here? Is this a complex number thing, or just the fact that I'm splitting $x$ into two components?



Or did I just luck into the solution and actually have a subtle mistake?



Here are the steps I took.



$$x^2-2x-5=0$$



$$(a+bi)^2 - 2(a+bi) - 5 = 0$$




$$(a^2 + 2abi +b^2i^2) - 2a - 2bi - = 0$$



Reordering it to the 'template' of the image. (note: $b^2i^2 = -b^2$)



$$(a^2 - b^2 - 2a - 5) + i(-2b + 2ab) = 0$$



Alright, I'm on the right track as it is intuitive to me that only -5 should be the only changed value.



\begin{bmatrix}
a^2 - b^2 - 2a - 5 = 0 \\

-2b + 2ab = 0
\end{bmatrix}



Here is where I venture of a little bit as my linear algebra is almost non-existent.



$$2ab - 2b = 0$$



$$2ab = 2b$$



$$2a = 2$$




$$a = 1$$



Since it's immediately visible what $b$ is in the same equation, I went to the other equation as I figured, it might have more information about $b$. We already have a believable value for $a$, so I subtitute it in there.



$$1^2 - 2*1 - b^2 - 5 = 0$$



$$-b^2 - 6 = 0$$



$$-6 = b^2$$




$$b = \sqrt{-6}$$



$$b = \sqrt{6}i \text{ or } b = -\sqrt{6}i$$



And substitute back for $x = a + bi$ we get:



$$x = 1 + (\pm\sqrt{6}i)i$$



$$x = 1 + (\pm\sqrt{6}i^2)$$




$$x = 1 + (\pm\sqrt{6}*-1)$$



$$x = 1 + (\pm\sqrt{6})$$



$$x = 1 \pm\sqrt{6}$$



Wait, that is correct (use the quadratic formula or something like SymPy to check, I use the website above called https://www.symbolab.com/solver/).



How is this possible? How is it possible that if I model this equation with complex numbers, I also get a valid solution? When isn't this possible?

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...