Wednesday 10 September 2014

sequences and series - How to find the general formula for this recursive problem?



I want to ask about recursive problem.




Given: $$a_0= 11, a_1= -13,$$ and $$a_n= -a_{n-1} +2a_{n-2}.$$



What is the general formula for $$a_n$$ ?



I've already tried to find the first terms of this series. From there, I got:



$$a_2 = 35, a_3= -61,$$ and $$a_4= 131.$$



From there, I think I need to use the rule from arithmetic and geometric series to find the general formula that I want to find.




But, I cannot find the certain pattern from this series, because the differences is always changing, such that -24, 48, -96, 192.



From there I think the general formula for a_n should be including (-1)ⁿ. But, how can we deal with series 24,48,96,192?



It seems the series is geometric, but how can we find the formula?



Thanks


Answer



Linear Recurrence Equations have typical solutions $a_n=\lambda^n$. Using this, we can compute the possible values of $\lambda$ for this equation from
$$

\lambda^n=-\lambda^{n-1}+2\lambda^{n-2}
$$
which means, assuming $\lambda\ne0$, that
$$
\lambda^2+\lambda-2=0
$$
This is the characteristic polynomial for the recurrence
$$
a_n=-a_{n-2}+2a_{n-2}
$$




The characteristic polynomial is $x^2+x-2$ which has roots $1$ and $-2$. Thus, the sequence is $a_n=b(1)^n+c(-2)^n$. Plugging in the values for $n=0$ and $n=1$ gives
$$
a_n=3+8(-2)^n
$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...