Thursday 18 September 2014

popular math - How can you calculate the points and then to result an exact percentage?



I really want to know. Let’s say, your math teacher gives you a test, and she marks each subject different points.




Ok, and if I done let’s say, half of the test correct, then how can I calculate in the way that gives me the exact percentage?



I mean, 50% of the answer is correct. Or, 80% of the math home work is correct.



How you do this? it’s really interesting.



Sorry for adding a wrong tag, I didn’t know what kind of algebra or something that is part from Math, not physics or Chemistry. You know what I mean?


Answer



If the tests are of different sizes, 1 common way to create an acceptable answer is to calculate the geometric mean.




An example:



A student scores 2/5 on test 1, 3/7 on test 2 and 9/10 on test 3. (40%, 42%, 90%)



A "fair" representation of how well they did could be: $(\frac{2}{5} \times \frac{3}{7} \times \frac{9}{10})^{(1/3)} \approx 0.536\ =53.6\%$



This has the effect of trying to treat each exam equally regardless of total marks of each test.



Opinion - (this is the best way to do it)







Alternatively, you could add up all the scored marks and divide by the total possible marks:



$\dfrac{2+3+9}{5+7+10} \approx 0.636 = 63.6\%$



This has the tendency to bias the results towards whichever test has the most possible marks.







There is no perfect answer sadly.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...