Thursday 18 September 2014

real analysis - Use the mean value to prove a certain result

I need to prove the following:



Use the Mean-Value Theorem to prove that:




$$\sqrt{1+h}<1+\frac{1}{2}h$$ for $h>0$



My attempt:



we first note that given that $h>0$ then



$$1+\frac{1}{2}h >1$$



and




$$1+h>1 \Rightarrow \sqrt{1+h}<\sqrt{1}=1$$



then we have that squaring both sides:



$$1+h<(1+\frac{1}{2}h)^{2}=1+h+\frac{1}{4}h^{2} \Rightarrow 0<\frac{1}{4}h^{2}$$



which is true, then we are done.



My question is How can I use the MVT to prove this? Thank you for your help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...