Tuesday 12 January 2016

algebra precalculus - How to prove $sumlimits_{r=0}^n frac{(-1)^r}{r+1}binom{n}{r} = frac1{n+1}$?



Other than the general inductive method,how could we show that $$\sum_{r=0}^n \frac{(-1)^r}{r+1}\binom{n}{r} = \frac1{n+1}$$




Apart from induction, I tried with Wolfram Alpha to check the validity, but I can't think of an easy (manual) alternative.



Please suggest an intuitive/easy method.


Answer



Look at
$$\int_0^1(1-x)^n dx$$
This is easy to compute by substitution.



Now compute it the hard way, by expanding using the Binomial Theorem, and integrating term by term.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...