Sunday 17 January 2016

group theory - Second principle of mathematical induction for identity permutation

I am going through Gallian's book on group theory, and while proving that identity permutation is an Even permutation, author assumes the identity permutation is of $r$ $2$-cycles and in one case, if the $r$ $2$-cycles reduces to $r-2$, then using second principle of mathematical induction, $ r-2$ is even. How is that leap made using second principle of mathematical induction? I understand the assumptions made in first principle induction, but how does it work in second principle?

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...