Sunday 30 October 2016

basic probability birthday question




I figure this is a trivial question since it's right in the beginning of the book but I get a different answer from that of the answer in the back of the book. I get .0847 while in the correct answer is .0828.



Anyways here is the question:



If birthdays are equally likely to fall on any day, what is the probability that a person chosen at random has a birthday in January?



January has 31 days and there are 365 days in a year so $31 \over 365$ would be $p$ for a non leap year. On a leap year it's $31\over 366$. Since a leap year occurs once every four years I thought I'd get my answer by doing:



$${31\over 365}*{3\over 4} + {31\over 366} * {1\over 4}$$




Any suggestions?


Answer



Since January has $31$ days, the most days a month can have, and $\frac1{12}= 0.0833\ldots $, there is no obvious way to get a figure as low as $0.0828$.



Either it is a trick question or you have spotted an error.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...