Thursday 13 October 2016

real analysis - Prove that $ lim_{Nto infty} sum_{n=1}^N frac{1}{phi(n)} $ exists or does not exist




Prove that the limit exists or does not exist:



$$ \lim_{N\to \infty} \sum_{n=1}^N \frac{1}{\phi(n)}, $$



where $\phi(n)$ is the Euler Totient function.



The ratio test was inconclusive.



I'm fairly sure the p-series test says this series diverges because $p=1$ but then again in this case I'm not sure how to deal with a function in the place where $n$ normally is.


Answer




Since $\varphi(n)\leq n$ it follows that $$\frac{1}{\varphi(n)}\geq \frac{1}{n}$$ and hence $\sum \frac{1}{\varphi(n)}=\infty$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...