Thursday 23 November 2017

discrete mathematics - Finding a formula to sum natural numbers up to $n$










I got this question in homework:




Find an expression for the sum ‫‪




$\sum k = 1 +\cdots + n‬‬$.




and prove it using an induction.



I'm not even near finding the expression. What I did notice is that
if $n$ is (for example) 5 then the sum would be




$5^2 - 4^2 + 3^2 - 2^2 + 1^2$



So the first number is always positive and from there on the sign changes.



Any tips on how do I contintue from this point on, assuming I'm in the right direction?



Thanks!


Answer



Hint.

$$\begin{array}{cccccccccccc}
& 1 & + & 2 & + & 3 & + & 4 & + & \cdots & + & n\\
+& n & + &n-1 & + & n-2 & + & n-3 & + & \cdots & + & 1\\
\hline
& n+1 & + &n+1 & + &n+1 &+& n+1 & + & \cdots & + & n+1
\end{array}$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...