Tuesday 26 November 2013

Proof derivative equals zero?



I know this must be wrong, but I am confused as to where the mathematical fallacy lies.




Here is the 'proof':



$$f '(x) = \lim_{ h\to0}\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}$$



L'Hôpital's Rule (The previous limit was $\frac{0}{0}$):



$$ f '(x) = \lim_{ h\to 0}\frac{f '(x+h)-f '(x)}
{1} $$




Plugging in $h$:



$$ f '(x) = f '(x+0)-f '(x) $$



Simplifying:



$$ f '(x) = 0 $$



I'm assuming my application of L'Hôpital's rule is fallacious, but it evaluates to an indeterminate form so isn't L'Hôpital's rule still valid?


Answer




Taking the derivative with respect to $h$ gives:



$$f'(x) = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{f'(x + h)}{1}$$



Since $f(x)$ is constant with respect to $h$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...