Wednesday 23 July 2014

elementary number theory - If the remainder in the division of $a$ by $b$ is $r$ and $c|b$, then...



How should I be proving this?




If the remainder in the division of $a$ by $b$ is $r$ and $c|b$, then the remainder of division of $a$ by $c$ equals the remainder in the division of $r$ by $c$




Would I use the definition of $a \equiv b$ (mod $r$) also means that $r|(b-a)$? Or should I be using the definition of the division algorithm with $a = qb + r$ where $0≤ r < |b|$? I also don't understand what to do about $c|b$.




I tried using the definition of divisibility so that $c \, m = b$, and substituting $b$ for $cm$ so that $r|(cm-a)$ but have been stuck here. I also tried $a = q cm + r$, so $r = a+(-qm)c$, which would make $a$ the remainder of the division of $r$ by $c$.



I'm honestly just so confused. The next part of the question asks to use $(b,c)$ to compute the remainders in the division of a huge number, so I'm leaning towards using the definition of $a \equiv b$ (mod $r$).


Answer



You just do it.



$a = kb + r$ for some integer $k$ and $0 \le r < b$. That's what having a remainder of $r$ means.



And $b = c*n$ for some integer $n$. That's what $c|b$ means.




so $a = k(c*n) + r$



And if the remainder of $r$ when divided by $c$ is $r'$ then there is an integer $m$ so that $r = c*m + r'$ and $0\le r' < c$



So $a = k(c*n) + c*m + r'$ so $a = c(kn + m) + r'$ with $0\le r < c$.



So the remainder of $a$ when divided by $c$ is $r'$ which is the remainder of $r$ divided by $c$.



...




Using the notation for equivalence we have



$a \equiv r \mod b$ which means $b|a-r$



And $b \equiv 0 \mod c$ which means $c|b$.



So by transitivity $c|a-r$ so $a \equiv r \mod c$.



I guess you have to prove that $c|b$ and $b|d\implies c|d$ but that's comes directly from the definition of "divids". There is a $n$ and $k$ so that $b = c*n$ and $a-r = b*k$. So $a-r = c(kn)$. So $c|a-r$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...