Saturday 26 July 2014

summation - Mathematical Induction with Exponents: $1 + frac12 + frac14 + dots + frac1{2^{n}} = 2 - frac1{2^{n}}$



Prove $1 + \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{4} + ... + \frac{1}{2^{n}} = 2 - \frac{1}{2^{n}}$ for all positive integers $n$.



My approach was to add $\frac{1}{2^{n + 1}}$ to both sides for the induction step. However, I got lost in the algebra and could not figure out the rest of the proof. Any help would be greatly appreciated.



Thank you in advance.


Answer




Hint



if we add $\frac{1}{2^{n+1}}$ to the right side, we get



$$2-\frac{1}{2^n}+\frac{1}{2^{n+1}}$$



$$=2-\frac{2}{2^{n+1}}+\frac{1}{2^{n+1}}$$



$$2-\frac{1}{2^{n+1}}$$
qed.



No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...