Saturday 12 July 2014

recurrence relations - Closed form for the sequence defined by $a_0=1$ and $a_{n+1} = a_n + a_n^{-1}$



Today, we had a math class, where we had to show, that $a_{100} > 14$ for



$$a_0 = 1;\qquad a_{n+1} = a_n + a_n^{-1}$$




Apart from this task, I asked myself: Is there a closed form for this sequence? Since I didn't find an answer by myself, can somebody tell me, whether such a closed form exists, and if yes what it is?


Answer



I agree, a closed form is very unlikely.
As for more precise asymptotics, I think $a_n = \sqrt{2n} + 1/8\,{\frac {\sqrt {2}\ln \left( n \right) }{\sqrt {n}}}-{\frac {1}{
128}}\,{\frac {\sqrt {2} \left( \ln \left( n \right) -2 \right) ^{2} + o(1)}
{{n}^{3/2}}}$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...