Saturday 17 January 2015

combinations - Prove that for any prime $p$, if $a>b$ then $p^2$ divides $C(pa,pb)-C(a,b)$.


Let, $p$ be a prime and $a>b$. If $\operatorname{C}(n,r)$ denotes the combination of $r$ objects from a collection of $n$ objects taken at a time, prove that $\operatorname{C}(pa,pb)-\operatorname{C}(a,b)$ is divisible by $p^2$.




Tried using De Polignac's formula, but, it is getting difficult and laborious and it isn't working. Then I tried to fix $b$ and apply induction on $a$. It is also getting extremely difficult to handle the calculations arising from it. How can I attack this problem now? Because just breaking them down and writing explicitly is not a good option I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...