Thursday 29 January 2015

discrete mathematics - What is the remainder when $N = (1! + 2! + 3! + 4! + ........... + 1000! )^{40}$ is divided by $10?$




What is the remainder when $N = (1! + 2! + 3! + 4! + ........... + 1000! )^{40}$ is divided by $10$ ?




My try:




On watching the pattern as it grows, after $4!$ all are divisible by $10$.



So, infact I am just left with $N = (1! + 2! + 3! + 4! + 0)^{40}$ and I need to check the remainder when this $N$ is divisible by $10$.



Hence, the $N$ sums up to $33^{40}$ when divided by $10$ .



Now, after this I can simply apply Euler's Theorem such that



$33^{4} = 1 (mod 10)$




After all, the remainder comes out to be $1$.






I don't have an answer for this. Is my understanding right or did I miss something?


Answer



Your answer is correct. A few pointers, however:





  1. Note that you can reduce $33$ to just $3$

  2. Euler's theorem says that $3^{4}\equiv 1\pmod{10}$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...