Monday 18 May 2015

abstract algebra - Do extension fields always belong to a bigger field?



Let $F$ be a field, $E_1$ and $E_2$ are two distinct extension fields of $F$. Is it the case that we can always somehow find a field $G$ that contains both $E_1$ and $E_2$? In other words, could extensions of fields have different 'direction's such that they are incompatible?




Edit: I began to think about this problem while reading a proof. $F$ is a field. $a$ and $b$ are algebraic over $F$. $p(x)$ and $q(x)$ are two polynomials in $F[x]$ of minimum degree that respectively make $a$ and $b$ a zero. The proof claims that there is an extension $K$ of $F$ such that all distinct zeros of $p(x)$ and $q(x)$ lie in $K$. For a single polynomial, I know this kind of field exists because of the existence of splitting field, why it is true for two polynomials?


Answer



Consider field extensions $E_1/F$ and $E_2/F$. Then the tensor product
$A=E_1\otimes_F E_2$ is a commutative ring, not necessarily a field though.
Non-trivial commutative rings have maximal ideals, by a Zorn's lemma argument.
Let $I$ be a maximal ideal of $A$. Then $K=A/I$ is a field. The map $x\mapsto
\overline{x\otimes 1}\in A/I$ is a ring homomorphism $E_1\to K$. As $E_1$
is a field, this is an injective homomorphism, so we can think of $E_1$
being "contained" in $K$. Likewise $E_2$ is "contained" in $K$.




Beware though, the ideal $I$ may not be unique.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...