Sunday 24 May 2015

elementary number theory - Prove that for $x^3=3$ there isn't rational solution




Prove that for $x^3=3$ there isn't rational solution




What I did:



Suppose $x= u /v$ is solution




$$\left(\frac u v\right)^3=3$$



Let's take third root from both sides:



$$\frac u v =\sqrt[3]3$$



and $\sqrt[3]3$ is irrationl ,



my problem is this "and $\sqrt[3]3$ is irrationl " is it well known that this number is irrationl? same as $\pi$?




or maybe there is another why to prove it?


Answer



Just start off my assuming $(u,v) = 1$ i.e the fraction is fully reduced. Then it follows that;
$$u^3 = 3v^3 \Rightarrow 3 \mid u^3 \Rightarrow 3 \mid u \Rightarrow u = 3M$$



Therefore $(3M)^3 = 27M^3 = 3v^3$ and so $9 \mid v^3$ which implies $3 \mid v^3$ and so $(v,u) \not = 1$ which is a contradiction.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...