Tuesday 23 May 2017

matrices - Linear Algebra - Prove $AB=BA$



Let $A$ and $B$ be any $n \times n$ defined over the real numbers.



Assume that $A^2+AB+2I=0$.





  • Prove $AB=BA$



My solution (Not full)



I didn't managed to get so far.



$A(A+B)=-2I$




$-\frac{1}{2}(A(A+B)=I$



Therefore $A$ reversible and $A+B$ reversible.



I don't know how to get on from this point, What could I conclude about $A^2+AB+2I=0?$



Any ideas? Thanks.


Answer



From

$$
A(A+B)=A^2+AB=-2I
$$
we have that
$$
A^{-1}=-\frac12(A+B)
$$
then multiplying by $-2A$ on the right and adding $2I$ gives
$$
A^2+BA+2I=0=A^2+AB+2I

$$
Cancelling common terms yields
$$
BA=AB
$$






Another Approach




Using this answer (involving more work than the previous answer), which says that
$$
AB=I\implies BA=I
$$
we get
$$
-\frac12A(A+B)=I\implies-\frac12(A+B)A=I
$$
Cancelling common terms gives $AB=BA$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...